Air Traffic Control Forums

Go Back   Air Traffic Control Forums > Country Specific > South Africa

Old 28-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default ATNS Selection Testing For ATC

This is from my flight simulator forum site at www.fsforums.com

One of the members posted a detailed thread about what to expect from the psycometric testing and since this was a really common question, I have decided to repost it here.

Ok, so i wrote the tests on Monday and AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
Man, they were harsh! I felt confident about the first 3 which were:

Communication - Sort of like an English comprehension test.

String checking - Checking for a string of numbers or letters or both out of 5 which corresponds with the one asked for.

Audio checking - Basically the same as above but while listening to an audio tape, of the one being asked for, told to you!

Then came the BAD tests:

Mental Arithmetic - Doing a bunch of Maths questions in your head! (And I mean in your head because you don't have time to work them out on paper, I PROMISE!)

Diagrams/Sequences - Looking at a sequence of diagrams which has a set of rules. These rules change the outcome of the sequence.

And finally...

Spatial Reasoning - looking at a 2D cube (A cube unravelled) and trying to guess the right one in 3D (the cube built up). No matter how much preparation you do, this one will kick you while you're down!

Those are pretty much the tests! And to top it all off, you never, and I mean NEVER, have enough time to complete them! The mental arithmetic one - 30 questions in 7 minutes! and they get difficult! All in all it took about 3 and a half hours!

Anyway, there's nothing I can do now. I'm just waiting for my results!
Will post once I hear it!

Cheers

G

So thats what you can expect. Good luck to all applicants!