Air Traffic Control Forums

Go Back   Air Traffic Control Forums > Real World Air Traffic Control > Ground and Tower Control

Old 25-01-2012, 10:40 PM

Default UAV Integration Opinions

I'm currently doing a project looking into the integration of UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) into controlled airspace, specifically developing a simulator to look into integration into ATC for ground movement and was wondering what everyone's opinions are on how ATC should communicate with UAVs. There is 3 main possibilities I'm looking at but I am open to suggestions.

First is keep the current system and make UASs use radios like everyone else.

Second is keep the conventional aircraft to ATC communication the same and have UASs use a digitized system (ie typed commands) but this requires ATCOs to use a combination of radio and textual systems to control aircraft which sounds like it could cause problems.

Or finally digitize the whole ATC system and remove radios altogether which may be the way forward for conventional aircraft anyway but I expect will meet heavy resistance.

So there are the 3 options I have came up with if you can let me know what you all think and as I said if you can think of any better solutions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Old 28-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Until the time that ATC moves forward and everything is computerised, they will need to communicate in the same way that any other aircraft communicates to ATC.

Your second option is dangerous as there will be no situational awareness for the pilots of the aircraft as they will not be able to see what text has been written to ATC on behalf of the UAV.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:01 PM

i totally agree i have looked into the potential hazards and this was raised and was mainly entered for completeness since even fully computerized will lose situation awareness if not correctly implemented