Amp to drive ATC SCM7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp to drive ATC SCM7s

Hi, I have a pair of SCM7s (previous-gen) sitting in a cupboard that I want to bring out and use in a dining room system. But I need an amp.

For kicks, I tried them with the 10-watt Audio Note Oto tube amp in my main system, and... yeeesh. (No surprise.)

But I don't want to spend a lot of money. So, what's the cheapest amp that will make the wee ATCs sing..? I won't be driving them hard, but I need something electrically compatible and which will drive those ATC mid-woofers at moderate volumes without breaking a sweat - and I want it to sound good. Don't need thundering bass, though I do like it full and fun. But the priority for me is on beautiful, tonally-rich mids and sweet highs.

Any suggestions? I'm in the States (NYC), so I don't have all the usual Brit-fi classics available to me, sadly.

Thanks,
    Dunc

Hey Dunc, how are you doing?

Can't answer specifically, but something with 200wpc minimum. Any s/h ATC amp would be great if you can find one at reasonable cost.

Comment

Hi Dunc,
      I have ATC SCM 7 I-gen, as well. I drive them Michell Engineering Alecto Stereo / mk I/. Sounds tonally rich-mids, sweet highs and with well controlled bas. But I have linstened Hafler 9180 /made in USA/ power amp with SCM 7 and it was very impresive. Good control and nice overall tonnality but not so sweet. Good luck.

Comment

Hello Dunc

I didn't realise you were in the USA, I used to have a pair of 7's newer style and used them with an old now Musical Fidelity X150 which actually worked really well for its low value.

Then in this particular system (well room ) I went to 11's (new style also) I upgraded the amp to a 2nd hand ATC SIA2-150 which was a superb combination as you would expect.

I suppose my MF X150 is for sale but wouldn't be worth it or the hassle posting it abroad so to speak.

I am sure there are loads of options stateside, perhaps a Parasound unit or PSaudio do some interesting amps at great value state side.

In fact sometimes I think the choice is massive in the states compared to the UK plus on Audiogon there are many 2nd hand bargains I would love a PSaudio P15 powerplant
        quite a few 2nd hand at the moment, none FS 2nd hand in UK currently.

Simon

Comment

Can you Try PS Audio Sprout 100?

https://www.psaudio.com/products/spr...ted-amplifier/

Comment

I once used to drive my 11s with a Khartago amp from Odyssey Audio. It was a very good amp before I switched.
            Last edited by Garfield; 07-24-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

One of Plinius amp. Or Devialet (with SAM preset), Krell, Sim Audio, Coda, ATC of course. All of them will be good match with yours SCM7s.
              Last edited by arzojaan; 07-27-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Since you live in the States and you do not want to spend a fortune on an amp look up the Rogue Sphinx V3 integrated amplifier is a hybrid amplifier with 100watts x2 8ohms, and 200watts x 2 4ohms price new approx $1,550.00 Positive review here https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ated-amplifier. Reading from reviews it may be a real sweety to drive your ATC SCM7....

Comment