X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larry View Post
    Rudiger: Here is the text from the ATC consumer side of their web page:

On Page 4 of the manual online, you'll see the following text:
    "5.6 Level Trim : Provides access to an internal control that enables adjustment of input sensitivity. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to access the control. As supplied, monitors are calibrated to an input sensitivity of 1V. Note: Adjusting the sensitivity without the ability to recalibrate will leave a pair of monitors unmatched."

That‘s right, but please believe me that only the Professionell Models have this feature. In point 5.5 of the manual is an description of managing the Bass Boost, but this is also a feature that only the Professionell Models have.
    The manual of the Home Models and the Professionell Models is the same. The features are different.
    At this side you can see the amp of a ATC SCM50ASLT and you will see that there is only a place to connect the XLR cable, nothing else. A little bit deeper is the point for connecting the power cord, a power on/off switch and the fuse, nothing else.
    https://www.fairaudio.de/test/atc-sc...vlautsprecher/
    ATC don’t want that consumers manipulate anything because in there mind they can only make things worse.
    Kind regards Rüdiger
    Last edited by fr.jazbec; 07-20-2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I am with Rudiger on this. I can not find any adjustment on the back of SCM100ASLT to adjust input sensitivity or bass. Does anyone here have access to Service Manual? The pot in home model is probably inside the back cover and I will probably try my hand at it after the warranty time is up.

Comment

• AlastairH
        AlastairH commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks like the trim adjustment could be a good option however personally I’d not touch it on a consumer model. The pros are much easier to adjust and I used to do that on my old Pro 20ASLs about 15 years ago.
        Going back to your post I think there are possibly 2 things here
        1) The question is there a better pre for you and the 100ASLs system? I don’t know really, others have stated their preference but until you can have something else in your home in the system to compare, it’s perhaps hard to say?
        2) The distortion you hear, I think you might benefit from understanding where that is happening. Could it be a faulty unit? It’s not unheard of that glitches happen in production.
        My advice would be to try attenuators, as in the grand scheme these are cheap. You’ll then be able to run the pre at a higher volume level and hear or not, distortion. Perhaps try and borrow another CDA2 pre and then report back?
        I just think you might benefit from understanding what is happening in your system now before spending thousands.
        But just my thoughts - good luck and I hope things get sorted!

I have 50 ASLT with 2 trimmers on rear amp side, but without any marking.
      When I received my speakers, from the factory on one speaker the bass boost trim was set to almost maximum and for a long time I could not understand why my speakers produce so much bass (after my previous 50 PSL)
      I also believed that only the pro version has these settings.
      Patience, screwdriver and manual helped me)))

I have been using SCA2 preamp for 3 years and have never noticed overload at levels up to 12 hours (above I would have worried about my neighbors).
      I also tried to control directly from my dCS Bartok. This is also an option if it is possible to use high volume levels to avoid excessive digital attenuation.
      Last edited by arzojaan; 07-21-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Yes there are two tiny holes behind my SCM50ASLT matching the location of the pro version type of speakers. I While I am leaving that input level as default but I am driving mine with Bricasti M12 preamp without any issue

Comment

Originally posted by hifidy View Post
          Yes there are two tiny holes behind my SCM50ASLT matching the location of the pro version type of speakers. I While I am leaving that input level as default but I am driving mine with Bricasti M12 preamp without any issue
          I used M12 for some weeks in my system, directly connected to 50As and with SCA2 preamp. Also no problems with the volume level or overload.
          Last edited by arzojaan; 07-23-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I use the Benchmark HPA4 as preamp for my 100ASLT's.
            The HPA4 has a 256 step fully balanced relay controlled attenuator that's adjustable in 0.5dB steps.
            Gain can also be trimmed +/-10dB on the individual inputs to equalise their volume if required.
            With this arrangement you can get the exact volume you require.

The HPA4 includes the high performance headphone amp but the LA4 model is available cheaper without the HP amp.
            There are only 4 inputs, 2 balanced and 2 unbalanced.
            Specifications are SOTA, with distortion at the limit of what can be tested and a very high SNR of 135dB.

Comment

There is a significantly more costly SCA2 preamp in ATCs lineup, though I’ve never heard one. That would be the obvious match for 100s, but of course you would forfeit the CD player and DAC functions of the CDA2 which is exceptional for the money.

However, I’m surprised you’ve found excessive gain, so did you check with your supplying dealer for advice? Distortion on such a powerful speaker must be at an ear-splitting volume - unless you live in an aircraft hangar! I’d be concerned the distortion was actually occurring within the preamp, though without testing that’s just speculation. Can you borrow another pre from your dealer?

Comment

When I remember correct there was a post in the predecessor ATC forum where the owner of a ATC SCA2 Pre-Ampilifier had the same problem with to much gain in combination with a ATC 100 A. This was the reason for me not to buy the SCA-2.

Comment

Originally posted by fr.jazbec View Post
                  When I remember correct there was a post in the predecessor ATC forum where the owner of a ATC SCA2 Pre-Ampilifier had the same problem with to much gain in combination with a ATC 100 A. This was the reason for me not to buy the SCA-2.
                  It’s strange. I don't have such problem with my 50ASLT and SCA2. Very compatible combo by ATC

Comment

These might be the Anniversary amps (they don't have the holes)?

Comment

Hi there,

I used Bryston BP 26 and Ayre K5xe mp. The Bryston sounded forward and a bit bright. The Ayre was, indeed, airy, but delivered a soft bass response. Now I use Accuphase C2120. with my SCM 100 ASL. A wonderful combination.

Comment