Good preamp for SCM100ASLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hvries View Post
    A few years ago I tried an Spectral DCM15 with my SCM 100ASL. The Spectral sounds very tranparant and detailed. A width soundstage but also a bit shy in the bass. In the end to lean for my taste.
    Thanks for the response, I found you are using Accuphase now, how do you like it? I am also interested,

Comment

Originally posted by byplay View Post
      I am using ATC SCM50asl (current model) fed by naim 272 + 555ps, happy with them but want to try with other combo, Now considering MFA's Baby reference V2 / Townshend Allegri ref, but some people say that atc actives prefer active preamp. Any opinion? And I am looking at Spectral preamp (DMC15) , anyone has experience with ATC active + Spectral pre?
      Anyone using AVM Ovation series? XLR output with tube module seems quite interesting,

Comment

The Accuphase I use is the 'entry level' C2120. Well, there is nothing 'entry' on it. I is a fine piece of Japanese craftmanship. Build quality is outstanding. Soundwise it is airy, transparant, 3- dimensional and not overly detailled I would say, just a bit on the warm side of neutral. In short: I's very musical and a very good match for active ATC's.

Comment

Please I am not being sarcastic, sincerely, but I am really amazed by ATC users at an ATC forum stating that they do not use ATC preamps; in fact that they do not use the ATC SCA2 preamp. I say that because I have posted a couple of questions about possible preamps to drive active SCM 40As at another (most probably non official) ATC forum at a certain social network. And independent of the brand I asked about (Naim, Prima Luna, Bryston) I was told that the only preamp that should be used to drive the 40As was the SCA2, period (forget the CA2 btw). And in quite strong terms!

This is really important to me because I do not live in a country where I can listen before buying and I have to pay around twice the price UK buyers pay for their hi-fi. Buying a pair of 40As will be quite a stretch for me. Having to buy the SCA2 too at around the same price is almost impossible for me. And now I notice that sensible ATC lovers also happen to use non ATC preamps (and ATC preamps too, of course, why not, they are fine). Nice to know.

I have read a lot on impedance matching etc, I have checked the 40A's specs (10K input impedance and current greedy) and I now I understand that:
          i) it is much better to use a preamp than running the speakers directly from the Chord TT2;
          ii) Prima Luna (tube) preamps are not a good idea;
          iii) even the Bryston BP 17 Cubed (which I was very interested in, neutral, reliable, pro company like ATC etc) may have a higher output impedance (420 ohms balanced) than it would be desirable;
          iv) autotransformer preamps like the icOn 4 Pro will never provide the needed current to drive the speakers (passive preamps are anathema), and
          v) probably even the state of the art Benchmark HPA4 will not work (because it is not the SCA2).

Could you please any of you comment on that? This has been a long and hard journey. I am sure on the 40A. I just need to buy a matching preamp that I can afford. It would be nice if it were quite flexible too.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandoc View Post
            v) probably even the state of the art Benchmark HPA4 will not work (because it is not the SCA2).
            No experience with the SCA2 but I can tell you that the Benchmark HPA4 works superbly with the SCM100's and I know another 100ASL owner who uses the HPA4 as well.
            Even into punishing 600ohm loads distortion remains very low and the HPA can still produce over 15V from its balanced out (more than 20V into higher loads) - by comparison ATC active amps are a piece of cake to drive.
            Apart from the SOTA measurements, the best feature of the HPA4/LA4 preamps is their 256 step relay operated volume control which allows precise volume setting in 0.5dB steps - and separate gain trimming on every input. Wiper pot volume controls are just clumsy by comparison.

Comment

• orlandoc
              orlandoc commented
              Editing a comment
              The HPA4 is a very attractive proposition. I presume that I could eventually couple it to a home cinema receiver by adjusting one of the input's gain settings to unity gain and disabling that input's volume control; am I right?

Hello. I was also thinking about a SCA2, but in the old previous forum there was a user who also had problems with the volume with an SCA2. The active ones were too sensitive to the output voltage of the SCA2. Then there was the high price and I didn't like a CA2 visually. In my opinion, it is important to have the lowest possible output impedance and a resistor network for volume control instead of a potentiometer. This means that it is not a problem if the amplification is not perfectly harmonized because the channel deviations in the lower potentiometer range are bypassed. Based on these considerations, I decided on an Audionet Pre1G3 and later upgraded it with an additional power supply.

Comment

• orlandoc
              orlandoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I had never heard of this German preamp. It seems truly amazing.

Hi, here is an old review from What HiFi. The Preamp is much better in combination with the external power supply EPS.
            In Germany the price of used preamps is between 1500-2000€, the price of an used power supply is about 700-1000€.
            https://www.whathifi.com/us/audionet/pre-1-g3/review
            A very good contact for used Audionet equipment ist this shop in Germany. You can trust him.
            http://www.benedictus.de
            Last edited by fr.jazbec; 03-31-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Hi,
              I noticed a posting on this thread nearly a year ago where someone tried a dCS Bartok DAC/streamer directly into ATC actives, but there was no subjective reaction to the outcome. dCS products get very good reviews and I just wander if the Bartok might be the way to go in achieving a great sound coupled with a minimal box count. Another similar product to the Bartok I imagine is the Canadian Meitner MA3, which I gather is a very well received device judging by the reviews .
              Any experience of these products , and their use in a system with the exclusion of a pre amp

Comment

I owned various ATCs - speakers: scm11, scm19, scm20, scm10SE, scm40A, and now scm50ASL; electronics: CA2mk2, CDA2 mk1, CDA2mk2 and now SCA2. I have SCA2+scm50ASL combination for more than 2 years. Knowing so well the "hi-fi series", I would say that SCA2+scm40A will sound perfect, a little relaxed, given that 40s are not so revealing as classic ones. SCA2+scm50ASL is the ultimate match, full of everything, kind of studio sound - everything is there, this could not be to everyone taste. That's why I'm saying that SCA2 and 40A may be a perfect fit, 40s being more forgiving. I never heard this combination, but I will bet on it. SCA2 is a ultra-high-end preamp: transparent, detailed, excellent micro and macro dynamics, on par with the greats. But its volume range is curious on classic actives. I have to use the 1V trimming of speakers, combined with gain button pushed on SCA2, in order to use the volume pot up to 11 o clock (where the level is too loud for my room). This is the only quirky issue I have with SCA2. The rest is fabulous. But, I am contemplating to sell the SCA2...
                Last edited by saureign; 07-15-2021, 05:30 AM.

Comment

For me the RME ADI Dac 2 FS does a very good job at my ATC scm45a. (and i had a Metrum Adagio DAC/Pre before)
                  If you do not need a integrated CD player and analog input it could be a good match wit scm100
                  It has a gain automatic which works fine or you can set output manual.
                  Dac chip is a from AKM as in the CDA2 (as far as i know)
                  sound is detailed but not harsh, bass is dry and right presented

Comment