Which cables do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which cables do you use?

I am a little bit divided about the influence of cables to reproduction of highend audio.
    In my audio combination I use „good but normal“ cables. For the most connections I use Mogami 2803, for the connection Audionet/ATC I use Sommer Cable Carbokab 225. For the power cord I use mostly the original one, only the ATCs are connected by Lapp Ölflex Classic and it seems to make a difference.
    In my life I only heard 2 hifi-systems that seemed better than my own and both owners were very involved in the impact of cables. One HiFi system was build from Avalon Ascendant/Hovland Radia/Innovation Audio Ultrapath/Linn Akurate and it was only connected with Refine cable(a small german audio manufactur). The sound was really very impressing an involving and it seems to me I have never heard music so good.
    Which experience did you made with really highend cables and what is your mind about this theme?
    Kind regards Rüdiger

After trying several brands and price points I found that Cardas Clear I/C's and DIY Belden 83803 AC cables worked best for me.

I think I/C's and AC cables make a clearly audible difference and, if anything, play an even MORE important role with ATC actives.

Just my 2c. 🙂
    Last edited by linger63; 07-19-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

It's long ago that I was experiencing with cables.
      From that time I own for interconnect some Isoda HA-08 PSR
      And for the speakers I bought a pair of shindo ( Auditorium 23) cables.
      But that is around 25 years ago and never see a reason for a change until now.

Comment

Very unexciting here - lots of Van Damme Tour Grade xlrs going on here! I do also have a couple of expensive Russ Andrews power cords and blocks in use too.

Comment

At our home it ended that my wife asked that the washing machine be wired to Isoda to improve the washing result.
          Sorry, not gender perfect.

Comment

Cables make a big difference. I’ve auditioned power cords and ICs that made me feel like throwing my system out the window, and others that left me feeling a whole lot better.

I use PS Audio AC-12’s power cords throughout the system, including to the 19A’s, although I’m watching to add Kimber Kable or two in there. Having a regenerator inline, which I have, or a good power conditioner, helps a lot too (changing the wall outlet to a good Furutech doesn’t hurt either). Paul of PS Audio suggested MG Audio Design for IC’s, which they used in their listening rooms and at shows until recently. Excellent choice throughout, including to the ATC’s (XLR & RCA). The Final Touch Audio Callisto USB cable is the best I’ve come across under $1K, although the TotalDac D1 USB Cable/Filter, which I used for a few years, is very close. And a Purist Audio Design Neptune coax has done me well from Oppo to Lampi dac.
            Last edited by highstream; 08-17-2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I use Mogami Studio Gold XLR cables connecting my speakers to the RME ADI-2 DAC. The turntable is connected to the DAC via a Chord C-Lite optical (via a Project Phono preamp and Pro.2 A/D converter) and the Blu Ray player is connected directly via a Chord C-Lite digital coaxial cable. Other connections are made using Chord C-Lite RCA cables.

I'm not into the super expensive cable sound quality debate. But I believe interconnects need to be a of a certain minimal build quality to ensure a reliable electrical connection.

Comment

ATC SCM 40 v2 Passive & VDH D-352 Hybrid (not bi-wired or tri-wired).

Excellent combination!

Last edited by marba1065; 07-22-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                  I use Mogami Studio Gold XLR cables (...)

I'm not into the super expensive cable sound quality debate. But I believe interconnects need to be a of a certain minimal build quality to ensure a reliable electrical connection.
                  I second this. Good quality cobber and a braided shield that rejects differential mode noise, and you're good to go. I use Mogami Studio Gold XLRs as well. Notice that quad cables like the 2534 has a very slightly rolled off top end, but better noise rejection compared to the standard 2549 cable. Not that this is audible for me, but it might be if there's a compound effect with other components/cables in the system.

Comment

I also use Mogami Gold Studio (2534 star quad) for all balanced connections in my system. Its inexpensive and I found it more neutral than the far more expensive Wireworld Eclipse 7 when I tested in the DAC>pre position.

Comment

For power cables I am using the entry level of Siltech Explorer 270 for my 50 actives. Bass appears to be cleaner and treble is smooth.

Comment

I often ask myself where is the sense in buying exspensive Power cords.
                        Because the cable from the fuse box to the socket in most homes is a normal under flush mounted cable.
                        Is the last meter that important?
                        Last edited by Mariner; 07-23-2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariner View Post
                          I often ask myself where is the sense in buying exspensive Power cords.
                          Because the cable from the fuse box to the socket in most homes is a normal under flush mounted cable.
                          Is the last meter that important?
                          That’s even my thoughts, but when I changed the power cords to my ATC100 from normal to Lapp Ölflex it seems to me there is a difference in the direction more fuller an voluminous.

Comment

I've heard and tried at home several expensive speaker cables and interconnects, and I could never tell the difference between them. One set of cables cost more than my car at the time! In saying that, I am prepared to concede that other people may have better hearing than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                              One set of cables cost more than my car at the time!
                              Oh yes, sometimes I owned a car like that.😉😂

Comment

hi

i use Oehlbach power cables with my active ATCs.
                                Tried Supra Cables too, but did not hear differences.
                                So i use the Oehlbach cause i can hide them in my speaker-stands.

at XLR connections, i heard small differences and ended with a selfconfigured neotech Nei-3004 with neutrik connectors. Was better sounding than a vovox xlr before.
                                But i am no cable freak

Comment

I have some original Kimber braided cables with a clear teflon sheath on each connector that I bought when they first came out in the early 1980's and they still sound fine with my SCM 40's. I put some WBT spades and bananas on either end and that made for best possible connection. I have an old Randall Research RCA cable half a metre long (one of the first OFC cables on the market) between CD player and preamp and a one metre QED Reference 40 RCA between preamp and power amp.
                                  If I win the lottery I would probably opt for QED Supremus speaker cable if I stayed with passive ATC's.

Comment

I discovered after searching the web that my speaker cable is actually Randall Research 32 strand individually shielded in Teflon oxygen free copper from about 1982.
                                    They were one of the first high end cables and were very highly regarded at the time

Comment

I had another set of old cables - Randall Research TX interconnect cables which are one metre long. It is also from circa 1982. The cable is extremely stiff and is solid core ofc with teflon coating.
                                      I thought I would replace the QED Reference 40 and I have been blown away.
                                      Who said cables don't make any difference.
                                      It is like my system has been given a steroid shot. The sound has more body and I have had to reduce the volume setting and there is more apparent dynamic range.
                                      The bass seems deeper and tighter and there is no negatives apart from the stiffness of the cable. The QED's were a little sibilant and thin sounding in comparison.
                                      Maybe it is because I now have a system with interconnects and speaker cable that was designed to work together even though they are 38 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by gregmelb2 View Post
                                        I had another set of old cables - Randall Research TX interconnect cables which are one metre long. It is also from circa 1982. The cable is extremely stiff and is solid core ofc with teflon coating.
                                        I thought I would replace the QED Reference 40 and I have been blown away.
                                        Who said cables don't make any difference.
                                        It is like my system has been given a steroid shot. The sound has more body and I have had to reduce the volume setting and there is more apparent dynamic range.
                                        The bass seems deeper and tighter and there is no negatives apart from the stiffness of the cable. The QED's were a little sibilant and thin sounding in comparison.
                                        Maybe it is because I now have a system with interconnects and speaker cable that was designed to work together even though they are 38 years old.
                                        I still have 2 sets of the Randall Research TX Symmetrical interconnect sitting in my cable box (and the speaker cable too I think).
                                        Like you say the interconnect is very stiff which made those cables a PITA to use as you pretty much have to space the components to suit the cables. The speaker cable was nicely flexible though.
                                        It's interesting to retry old cables and realise that they are fully competitive with new stuff.
                                        When I had the SCM19 passives in my system with mono amps I pulled out some old Straightwire Maestro speaker cable I'd used with mono amps decades earlier and it sounded great in that setup.
                                        What was good then remains good now. I'm very sceptical about cable innovation.

Comment